Nav Blank The Mansion at Griffin Gate Home Page
History of The Mansion at Griffin Gate
Photos of The Mansion at Griffin Gate
The Mansion Restaurant at Griffin Gate
The Mansion Menu
Weddings at The Mansion at Griffin Gate
Events at The Mansion at Griffin Gate
Contact The Mansion at Griffin Gate


The Mansion Restaurant at Griffin Gate



The History of The Mansion



The Mansion's Permanent Residents





This historic two-story antebellum mansion has undergone a succession of distinguished owners and architectural improvements since it was first built over 160 years ago.

The interior, furnished with antiques, paintings, polished fireplace mantels and twelve crystal chandeliers, evokes an atmosphere for gracious and relaxed dining. Built originally in 1854 as an Italian Villa, the two-story brick home with a three-story tower, was home to David Coleman and family until it was consumed by fire in December 1872.

Another house designed by Cincinnatus Shryrock was completed in 1873 and christened Highland Home. The Colemans continued to live in the house and Winston Coleman, Jr. remembers Lexington in 1898 as a "small country town with a population of 26,000."

After the house passed out of the Coleman family, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Eveleth remodeled considerably, adding the tall columns out front to give the appearance of an antebellum mansion.

The next owner, Alfred Marks, changed the name to Griffin Gate and added antique mantels and paneling.

The Mansion still has a few permanent residents. Though they only stop by once in a while, they make their presence known. Our fireplaces and lights sometimes turn off and on by themselves, just so you know that "they" still live here.